Book chat · Currently reading

BC: June reading

Even though we are in the last week of June, I still have a few things I want to get read before July starts, so let’s get to it.

  • Guild of Tokens: Initiate – Jon Auerbach. This is a novella based around a computer programmer who stumbles across a Craigslist page she hasn’t seen before – one which offers quests and rewards. I believe the story follows the protagonist, Jen, as she explores New York in a new light, and slowly realises that the quests are not part of some game. They are real. I requested a review copy from the author (who kindly sent me one through), so a review will be up in the coming days.
  • The Clarity of Cold Steel: A Steampunk Detective Novel – Kevin Wright. This novel, set in humanity’s last stand bastion, follows a detective searches for a missing child. At the same time, our detective, Shakteel, must avoid attempts on his own life and work through previous incarnations (the book draws from Hinduism) – not a small feat. I am excited to read this as it seems to combine a few of my favourite elements (fantasy, steampunk, humour). Again, I requested a copy from the author, who kindly sent me one.
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah J. Maas. After hearing about this (and its larger series) for years, I finally decided to give it a go. It is currently sat on my Kindle at around 40% and whilst I will finish it, I am not enjoying the experience too much. The writing is overly simple, and the plot is predictable for the most part. Not sure I will carry on with the series unless something amazing happens in the remaining 60%, which is a shame as I think the general premise is something I’d really enjoy.
  • The Bedlam Stacks – Natasha Pulley. I haven’t yet started this one, but you can see my little summary on my recent post about books I have borrowed from my library.
  • The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood. I’m around 55% of the way through the audiobook and I’m enjoying it so far. The believable setting, the portrayal of those in power, and the corruption are all believable enough for me to really get stuck into the narrative. I’m not a massive fan of Atwood’s The Penelopiad, so I was glad to see that the author does have books that I will enjoy. I’ve heard good things about the TV series too, so maybe that will be on my watchlist when the book is done!

9 thoughts on “BC: June reading

    1. If I were in your position I wouldn’t bother reading it (unless you know you’d enjoy it). I read a little more last night and now I think I might DNF it. It sends out all the wrong messages to its target market and it actually quite creepy. A retelling of Beauty and the Beast with the pleasantness of Disney keeping the story in check.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. I think it’s something I would enjoy and some friends of mine have read it and enjoyed it and we have similar tastes so I think I might still enjoy it. Plus Beauty and the Beast is my fav Disney movie. I willing to give it a shot still be we will see.

        Liked by 1 person

  1. I’m intrigued to see your final thoughts on The Handmaid’s Tale! I was a bit of an in-between case with it, as I liked the story but didn’t get along with her writing all that much. I’ve been eyeing up The Penelopiad by her for awhile because I love ancient classics/Greek myths so it’s more likely to catch my attention, so maybe we’ll be the opposite way round in which ones we prefer 😆

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I agree with you about the writing style on THT – I couldn’t get past the first chapter until I switched to the audiobook. Now it sounds like somebody recounting their story and it is a lot better in my opinion. I’ll probably do a little wrap up for a few of my June books when they are done so keep your eye open!

      I first read the Penelopiad for my personal statement when applying to unis, and then again in a feminism week for one of my units before xmas 2017 and it hasn’t grown on me much. As a piece of feminist literature/retelling it’s fine, as a story of its own I’m not too sure. I won’t spoil it, but there are a few parts where Atwood seems to lose sight of the Odyssey and the world built there. e.g. I think that Homer’s Penelope is actually an emotionally stronger character and Atwood makes her seem too weak in comparison. I know I’m in the minority though so you will most probably really enjoy it!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s